The End of my Job

So tonight is the last night of my job at the Senior's Home.
I've been in tears all night. I started here almost seven years ago which is way before my Holly and more than half of Tara and Nick's lives.
I love these seniors. I just dropped off 20 something goodbye/thank you cards to some of my closest....friends. Yup, strangely enough - these wonderful people have been a huge part of my life. They are wonderful. They tell you the truth - all the time. Whether you want it or not. But they are so caring and loving, to each other and to me.
I keep thinking about my first day here. This was a job that God dropped into my life after I trusted him and left my other one after 8 years.
In my second week, I was holding the hand of a woman who had a stoke. She died two days later.
In my first couple months, I remember losing it because this woman who called me every night to talk and wanted me to come down and stay with her, because she was so scared, had died in the night. She died in her living room with a cookie in her hand. She hadn't called me that night and I was so upset that she died alone.
The residents here had a wonderful shower for Holly when she was born and seemed to be as excited about her as I was.
I had the honour of helping people when they needed it, giving a hug when they needed it and praying for them whether they needed it or not. I learned that a lot of times, the good die young - people here that would pass away that seemed in great health, yet the angry and miserable ones still hang on. Is God still trying to get them?
I got a lot of hugs tonight and "we'll miss you" but it's still so sad. Sad because at this stage in their lives, I may not see some of them again and those I do see will forget me quickly.
I'm so grateful for the time I got to spend with these people. They've given me wonderful lifelong memories.


7 Comments:
Awww. Why are you quiting? May I ask.
That's really sad. :(
Sure. You can ask. There are quite a few reasons actually. Mostly new managers have come in that are wanting to change the place from a "home" to a "business". They want us to not be so chummy with the residents which is really hard because we've been with them for so long and you get so attached. Also, they wanted me to work all the weekends in December and I couldn't so there was a lot of stress. And, the area around the building where I work has become a haven for meth-addicts, so the crime has really gone up in the area. Lots of reasons I guess.
awwwwww. thats like how long i've known you
joy
I know!!! That's a long time!! You were just knee high to a grass hopper back then. *giggle*
Wow. Bad new managers, Bad meth people.
When it little Holly's birthday? Mine was on friday the 8th, and now I'm 12!
You didn't tell me you were quitting. What's up with that? That's a big decision.
((hugs)) to you. What a wonderful ministry seniors is.
Deanna
Post a Comment
<< Home